Sunday, 26 April 2009

This was only okay because it happened in two different languages - and there was wine involved.




Back in Florence and I felt like I returned home. I remembered my way around the streets, was able to find my favorite shops and restaurants and soaked up the sun sitting in some of my favorite piazzas.


But this holiday was more than a trip down memory lane, it brought many new experiences as well. And of course, wine was involved.

I ate raw meat. So raw, in fact, I am pretty sure I heard the cow moo-ing as I cut into its pink flesh. However, I must admit, every bite was delicious (if only a bit on the cold side - that is the advantage when meat is cooked all the way through, it comes off the grill hot). I am not sure, had we not been 'tasting' wine at 2 1/2 wineries prior to this meal that I would have talked myself into eating this Italian version of a burger, but I am glad I did.




Consequently, another of my amazing and new Italian experience occured at the restaurant where the raw meat was served. I met a non-creepy young Italian man, our server, Nicola. Well, actually, our tour guide Monika thought that he was adorable and that I was cute and that she should embarass us by playing "match-maker" communicating between the two of us, but in two different languages. So while Nicola and I were clearly standing within hearing distance of each other, and at a table with a big group of people (from the wine tour), Monika would be talking back and forth between the two of us saying things like, "get in the picture next to her" or "he is single and studying for his PhD" or "This american girl thinks you are cute" and "do you want her/his number." It was more than obvious and extremely awkward. Not okay in any normal situation or circumstance, but for some reason, the fact that it was occuring in two different languages (and I, once again, had already had my fair share of wine) it was okay.




So I got a number. Sweet guy. Nicola came to Florence the next evening and went to dinner with Nicole and I; helped us order in Italian, and then after dinner acted as our Florence tour guide as we walked through the city at night. (I know what you are thinking, romantic right? Well, it was.)


Unique Italian experience Numero Tres: walked upon a communist rally. April 25th, for those of you who don't know is Liberation Day in Italy, a national holiday. So while we were walking with Nicola through Florence we came upon a small square with live music, crowded with people and decorated with red flags and other communist parafanalia. Interesting. Communists celebrating the downfall of Fascism some 50 - 60 odd years ago.


Ah, Italia. Bella Italia. I love this place. 2 years ago when I left Florence I never dreamed I would be back so soon, and I defintely never thought I would be able to live in Italy, long term, again. Now, I am not so sure. I love the country, the language, the people, the food; I could see myself living there again in the future. Who knows what life will bring?

No comments:

Post a Comment