Saturday, 27 September 2008

London Fog

London. I woke up this morning and looked out my window only to see a grey fog smothering the city. The dense fog was eerie, but also had a great beauty to it and slowly, as the morning progressed, the fog dispersed, the sun came out and today is another, beautiful day in London.

Like today, my life in London began a little foggy. On arrival, I discovered that my bags did not arrive with me and my room reservations had been mixed up - I had no room reserved for my first night. When I was finally placed in a room for the night I felt completely overwhelmed and lonely and I wept. I cried for the first time in almost a year, and I cried hard.

Like any girl, the first thing I did was find a way to call my dad. After talking too and crying on the phone to my dad I felt much better. I calmed down enough to get a couple hours of sleep before waking and calling home, again.

After such a chaotic first day, day two in London was much better. The sun was shining, I had met some people in my hall and my day was busy with errands, lunch dates and finally settling in when my lost bags arrived.

The third day is just beginning, but looks promising - especially now that the fog is lifting. It is funny how, on the first day all I wanted to do was be around people, be near people and hear people talking - even if they weren't talking to me. And, now, after meeting some people, making some potential friends and filling up my schedule with places to go, people to meet up with and school errands; all I want to do is sit alone and read or relax. All those things I was too sad and lonely to do on my first night in.

No comments:

Post a Comment