Sunday, 5 July 2009

Moving Day

I have way to many clothes (except when trying to dress myself in the morning, then, I never have enough), I also have too many shoes, too many hobbies, too much jewelery and too many sentimental artifacts that I can't just seem to get rid of.

Nothing makes you realize how much crap (although, very well loved crap) you own, and have accumulated, like moving. Yesterday, on July the 4th, the Independence day of America, I was kicked out of my first London home, in the very central West End, High Holborn halls of residence. I was then homeless for approximately 8 hours before moving into my second London home in Lilian Knowles Hall - in the hip and trendy East side, near Spittalfields market.

Somehow, the two very well packed suitcases that came with me from Spokane last September grew into a monstrous load of 3 suitcases, 1 mini suitcase, 1 school/laptop bag, and too many extra little bags and boxes to keep track of. It didn't seem to matter that I sent my parents home with a suitcase full of unecessary winter clothes and other odds and ends when they came to visit in the spring; my belongings still refused to be compacted easily for the move. I had no idea so much stuff could fit into such a tiny little room.

Oh well. Alls well that ends well. The move went, for the most part, seemlessly and easy. And, I am currently all moved in, with everything in its place. Although the move itself is never fun, I do enjoy putting together a new place - decorating, organizing, and deciding how I am going to put my flare into a dull dorm room. Plus, I looooove my new room! It is HUGE for a "dorm" room, it has two glorious windows, with a good view (I can see the Gherkin), a huge desk with plenty of room to do homework and use my computer without getting cramped (one of the most annoying thing for a student!), I have my own bathroom and shower and so far, all of my flatmates seem nice.

The new area I live in is wonderful as well. Sunday is market day. Food markets, clothing markets, vintage markets, flower markets - all just a few steps from my door. I already know there will be many fun summer adventures sitting outside at pub BBQs, strolling through the allyways full of shops and reading a book at the cute little cafe around the corner.

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear you are all settled! Missed you at this month Iron Cupcakes hope you make it next month!

    ReplyDelete