Friday, 31 July 2009

Fun and Fancy Free

So, amid the sweat, tears, horror and procrastination involved in dissertation writing, I went to Barcelona.


I looooooove Barcelona. If you need a place to kick back, relax (or party) and let go of the cares of the world, this is the place to do it.

Okay, so to be honest, at first I didn't like it. It was hot, busy, traffiky, and we were wondering around lost. Not the good kind of wondering around aimlessly, discovering new parts of the city - we were lost, in parts of the city tourists don't go. So naturally, at first, I didn't quite have an affinity with Barcelona. But luckily, that was only the first day.



The rest of our time was fantastical!!!







We found a little champagne (cava) bar on the recommendation of a friend, and I enjoyed not only some delicious pink bubbly (for the meager price of 75 cents per glass!), I also had the best Chorizo of my life (spicy, tender, goodness)! Along with the chorizo we had some other form of meat that looked raw, but apparently wasn't, but didn't look appetizing either way. However, - when in Spain, Europe, Africa, wherever- just eat it and if it tastes good; don't ask questions. So I ate it. It was good, and that was that.

Kim, Jules, myself, and Jules' friend Jenn, enjoyed tapas, Paella by the seaside (the best way to enjoy such cullinary delights), walks along the Med, visions of architectural beauty, explorations in the gothic district, cheap shopping (relatively, in comparison with london anyway), and nights out that blended into morning. I would have loved to have just one more day in Barcelona.






I have decided that Barcelona is one of the great cities in the world for this reason - it is a city that morphs into whatever you want it to be. You can only enjoy Barcelona once you know what you want from it. Do you want a party? check; you can have it. Do you want history? check; this city is full of it. Shopping? yes. Beach? double yes. Castles? Art? Food? yes, yes, and yes.


Total sleep time in 3 1/2 days = 10 hours (I suppose that happens in Barcelona)
Total sun time = not enough. However, if there was sun shining, I made sure it was shining on my pale, anglicized skin.


Looking forward to my trip back to Barcelona; whenever that may be.

No comments:

Post a Comment