Saturday, 9 May 2009

Library, livin' and lovin'

I have a confession. I am a nerd. (Gasp!)

Its a surprise, I know. If the fact that I love scienece fiction (Star Wars, Star Trek), fantasy (Lord of the Rings - the BOOKS and the movies), prefer reading to watching T.V - and when I do enjoy a little action in front of the tube it will usually be to watch the Discovery or History channels- and the fact that I am currently still at school didn't give it away. This will.

The Library is my new social life. I love it. I am there ALL the time. I am here now (its Saturday, FYI). Granted, it is exam time, so the pressure is on and a good majority of the students at LSE are in the library for a least a few hours a day, however their dedication is nothing compared to mine and my library posse.

Exams are intense times and call for intense measures. To get a good spot at the library you must arrive early, steak out a spot, and set up camp. If I don't arrive by 9 am, I ususally don't bother going because all the good spots are taken. But don't you worry, I am always there by 9am. And I usually stay until midnight. The 24 hour library policy allows me to stay beyond that, until the wee hours of the morning, however, if I am to be awake the next day in time to re-arrive at the library by 9am, I must leave at midnight - its a give and take kinda relationship. Now, when I am not at the library and not sleeping, I just don't know what to do with myself. I feel a little lost, as thought something is missing.

So what do I do at a Library for 15-16 hours a day? Of course I study, however, believe it or not social life in the library thrives. In these intense times we, the dedicated students who live at the library, must support one other. So what do we do? Coffee breaks. All day long.

I am a coffee drinker regularly, but these days I am so hopped up on the stuff that I feel as though I will need to check myself into rehab when exams finish. At first, we would call or text each other to set up a break time, but no longer. We just know. 10:30 or 11am coffee time. 1pm - lunch time (with a coffee, of course), around 3:30 or 4 -coffee, and dinner then follows around 8pm.

In the last two weeks of library living I feel as though I have met more people than during the rest of this past year, and I have had more ridiculous and intellectual conversations than one person should have in a lifetime. But, I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment