The wider population of businessmen, and shop owners will have the day off today in London. Not because of Memorial Day, but for a "bank holiday." This feels like the millionth bank holiday this month, and it really bothers me (although it shouldn't) that I don't know what or why the Brits are celebrating! What does bank holiday mean? It is so vague. Banks don't need that many days off within one month! I want to march into Westminster and beg them to celebrate anything other than "banks", or to at least give the holiday a name, like say, "Memorial Day." But, I suppose this level of creativity in naming is to be expected from a country that names a circular pond, "round pond." (In Hyde Park)
If I benefitted in any way, shape or form from this "bank holiday" I am sure I would by less cynical. However, studying does not take a bank holiday break, so basically, I am jealous. All this holiday/day off does is to ensure that professors will not be found on campus, the gym will close early, and it will be more difficult for me to find a morning coffee on my way to the black hole (AKA, library).
Okay, complaining aside. I hear Spokane is beautiful this weekend - one of the BEST Memorial Days in years. Congratulations. Enjoy your sunny day off in remembrance of something, anything other than 'banks.'
BBQ and eat a burger for me :-)
P.S. It was actually sunny in London yesterday! A whopping 74 degrees! Temperatures in the 70's have never felt so incredibly hot to me in all my life! I even got a little burnt from studying outside :-) Hopefully this means my pale, sickly, see-through skin will begin to get some bronzing action!!
Dear Subscribers
14 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment