Monday, 1 June 2009

Iron Cupcake: London

The very first Iron Cupcake competition was held in London last night. For those of you who don't know of Iron Cupcake, it is similar to the "Iron Chef" television show, and it began in the States, in Milwakee. Bakers are instructed with which "special ingredient" to use in their cupcakes and then are free to bake away being as creative as possible, but hopefully keeping things tasty.


The ingredient for this compeition was chocolate. I kept it simple and straightforward, making some double chocoate cakes with buttercream frosting and decorated them with some milk and white chocolate garnish. They were delicious. However, not creative enough for a win. The winner was a cinnamon/chocolate cake with peanut/honeycomb frosting. The other cupcake entries included; dark chocolate cherry with amaretto frosting, chocolate orange cakes, chilli/chocolate cakes (which was one of my favorites!), strawberry white chocolate, and more.


Some of the cupcake entries. Mine are in the back row, middle


Even though I did not win, I definitely had the best crowd support and turn out. Nine friends from LSE and London came to the competition to support me and eat cupcakes. It was wonderful!! We all had a really good time, laughing and eating and taking a break from studying. (by the time I left I was on the biggest sugar/coffee high EVER. I am sure my body was going crazy with the amount of insulin it was trying to produce to counter-act my baking/eating habits...)





Just part of the posse who came out to support me - we decided to walk home, and burn off some of those cupcake calories :-)


The next competition is July 6; the theme is "summer fruits." You had better believe that as soon as exams are over I will be brainstorming some creative, fun and funky flavors to put together and win this competition!!!

http://thecakedcrusader.blogspot.com/2009/06/iron-cupcake-london.html

http://www.ironcupcake.co.uk/index.html

4 comments:

  1. heath, you are so cute. i love how much you love cupcakes!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for coming along Heather - hope to see you at the next one

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was great to meet you Heather. Chocolate Chipolte recipe is up on my blog (had trouble with your e-mail) Hope to see you next time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As the judge who didn't get to eat any cupcakes because of a ridiculous chocolate allergy I'm pleased to hear that you'll be baking up some summer fruit cupcake joy! Good luck with the studying in the meantime.

    ReplyDelete