I have just returned today (Tuesday, also known as St. Paddy's Day) from a long weekend away in Dubai. And, although there are, I'm sure, many cultural and educational things to do and experience in a major city, such as this one, on the Arabian Penninsula (mosques, museums, etc), I sat on the beach in the sunny 90 degree weather - correction, layed on the beach in the 90 degree weather, and swam. In the Persian Gulf. And, I shopped. In the biggest mall in the world, the Mall of the Emirates - the one with a ski resort inside.
However, based on all of the fancy shmancy construction (Dubai reminds me of a mix between L.A. and a Star Wars movie, with an Arabian twist), man-made garden sanctuaries, and newly built "traditional souks" (which remind one of a Disneyland display, but on steroids) - I am fairly certain that I did just the type of thing the U.A.E wants its' tourists to do while in Dubai; live a life of status and luxury, spending money in their malls and on their beaches while pretending the whole time like you can afford it. But I must say, the customer service and attention one recieves in Dubai is second to none I have ever experienced.
It was a lovely escape, and a nice way to get a little (very little) bit of some color into my washed out, winter skin. I definitely want to go back! Below are the pics. Enjoy!
The Dubai Experience
(which probably isn't close to reality at all, but that is the way it is suppose to be)
Skiing indoors - sure, why not?
The "traditional" Souk with great views of the 7 star Burge hotel
Are you getting the "Star Warsy" vibe?
Relaxing on the beach or reading my book in the shade of a plam - it was difficult to get through our days in Dubai...

No comments:
Post a Comment