Whew! It was quite a weekend in the city! I walked all over town (literally, walked. All over it.) From Chelsea to Hyde Park on Saturday and through Brick Lane and Whitechapel on Sunday.
And guess what I found - cupcakes!! Only one was a planned excursion. Here is what I found.
Friday:
Buttercup Cupcakes
Where: High Street Kensington
Price: 2.50
Ordered: Red Velvet and Sticky Toffee
This is very much the neighborhood bakery. When we arrived there were school children everywhere crowding the windows and mums with strollers taking their kids out for their "Friday cupcakes." Although High Street Kensington is very much in the city and very much central, it was nice to see families.
The Verdict on the cupcakes:
mmmmmmmmmmm. Sooooooooooooo delicious! It was so refreshing to eat a real cupcake and to eat one that is tasty after having so many bad ones. The red velvet was perfection; I would say the best red velvet I have had in the city. Soft, fluffy, moist cake and just the right amound of cream cheese frosting on top. The sticky toffee was delicious too! Sticky toffee is an English flavor (sticky toffee pudding is a very English dessert), and the first bite was so sweet and so good. However, the sweetness became a bit too much at the end and I almost couldn't finish it. The cake had little bits of chocolate or toffee in it and the frosting was lovely and whipped. This little trip definitely made for a good friday afternoon excursion!
Saturday:
Crumbs and Doilies
Where: Partridges Food Market, Chelsea
Price: 1.80 large, .90 mini
Ordered: 4 minis (the equivilent to one big one? Can I justify that?) Peanut butter - their monthly special, chocolate, lemon and vanilla.

This was a surprise cupcake! On saturday it was beautiful so I decided to go on a walk and explore a new area of London. I came across this food market outside of Partridges and one of the stand were selling cupcakes! Just my luck! I was curious about all of Crumbs and Doilies flavors so I thought, what the heck! I will order four small ones and try them all.
Verdict:
Lemon was my favorite! The cake and frosting were so good! Vanilla had a nice, fluffy cake as well, but as usual it was... vanilla. The chocolate had a lovely frosting, but the cake was dry and the peanut butter one was alright. For the peanut better cake, as opposed to the usual chocolate cake with peanut butter icing, this cupcake had a peanut butter cake with peanut butter icing. The flavor was good, not too powerful, but the cake was dry. Good thing I only bought the minis! They had a coffee flavored cupcake as well, that I would be interested in trying, so I may need to go back to the Crumbs and Doilies stand before my time in London is done!
Sunday:
Anima Cupcakes
Where: Brick Lane, Sunday Up-Market
Price: 1.75 large, .75 mini
Ordered: Chocolate mini and Vanilla w/cream cheese frosting mini
Once again, I came upon some surprise cupcakes while wandering through some markets on Brick Lane! After eating cupcakes on Friday and Saturday, and after my big cupcake update last week, I had told myself that I would take a cupcake break so that I could fully appreciate cupcakes once again and to avoid getting tired of them. But then... I saw this cupcake stand. And I couldn't resist. The two women did a wonderful job decorating their stand and their cupcakes an making them appear irresistable. Once again, I went for the minis. More flavors for you buck I suppose.
Verdict:
The chocolate cupcake almost tasted like a costco chocolate cake with chocolate mousse filling, but the cake tasted more like a devils food cake- the frosting was my favorite part. It was good though, and my favorite of the two. The vanilla cake was good, very vanilla-y and the cream cheese frosting added a twist. I think it would have been better, though, with buttercream frosting or vanilla frosting. Either way, the two mini's were worth my .75 pence each and made for a nice little afternoon treat :-)
Okay - I have had my fun. Now it is time for a break from cupcakes (just a small break though)

No comments:
Post a Comment