Saturday, 4 October 2008

pubs and clubs and acting my age...

I feel old. I shouldn't feel old. I am only 22 and on top of that my whole life I have always been the youngest person in my class. But I don't want to do things that 22 year olds want to do anymore, or, so it seems. Since coming to London there have been a multitude of "welcome events" most of which involve drinking obscene amounts of expensive alcohol and then going to clubs only to drink more obscene amounts of alcohol.

Now, I am always one up for clubbing, I love to dance. But for some reason I feel different about it here. The music is for the most part the same, very danceable, but I have no desire to 'party hard' on a Saturday night, or weekday night. Maybe I remember too well the mornings that follow such evenings or maybe my ideas of a good time have changed - who knows? All I know at the moment is that I would much rather go to a pub and chat, and drink maybe a beer, or two, instead. I would like to go to a place that is more relaxing, where I can hear what the other person is saying without having to go through a screaming match.

Am I prematurely aging? Currently I am a bit torn between enjoying a city renowned for its (although touristy) clubs and simply enjoying a much quieter night with the scenery of London or relaxing at a pub.

2 comments:

  1. Oh Heath, you crack me up! I don't sense any existential crisis but there very well could be one around the corner :) You should be pubbin' it up to get to know all the new people who will be crossing your path... Plus, would you rather fraternize with greesy clubbin brits or the smooth-talking pint drinking bunch? I'm glad you're having so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha :)
    very true. I will take one smooth-talking, pint drinking brit from the pub please!

    ReplyDelete