This weekend I left London and went away to the English Countryside. I stayed at a Royal hunting lodge, called Cumberland Lodge, on the Great Park in Windsor (where Windsor Castle is and where the Queen lives). The lodge has TONS of history. It is where all of the royals and their friends would stay on weekends or on hunting trips. It has been apart of the Great Park since the time of King Henry VIII. The whole place is filled with old pictures of different royals at different times who used the lodge. And although I didn't see the Queen while I was there, she was staying at Windsor - her flag was up, indicating she was at home. The real disapointment though, was that I didn't see any of the princes. I guess they were off some where with their girlfriends...
My program at school takes a handfull of students to the Lodge each year for a little bit of acadamie and a lot of play. Although it rained most of the time, we did get some sun!! Luckily the sun came out on Saturday long enough for us to walk to Windsor (about 3 miles) from the Lodge. Windsor is a really cute little town. You can't walk anywhere without seeing the massive Castle on the hill above all of the shops and houses. Also, the Park surrounding Windsor (the Great Park) is gorgeous! So many beautiful trees, and country lanes. People who live on the park ride their horses through it regularly. Also, the Park is the home to swans, pheasants and reindeer! Yes! real reindeer - the santa clause kind!
The weekend went by quickly, but it was really nice to get outside of the city and see a bit of the countryside that England is known so well for!

No comments:
Post a Comment