Thursday, 27 November 2008

What are you Thankful for?

Come, ye thankful people, come,
Raise the song of harvest-home:
All be safely gathered in,
Ere the winter storms begin:
God, our Maker, doth provide
For our wants to be supplied:
Come to God's own temple,come:
Raise teh song of harvest-home!

All this world is God's own field,
Fruit unto his praise to yield;
Wheat and tares together sown,
Unto joy or sorrow grown;
First blade an then the ear,
Then the full corn shall appear:
Grant, O harvest Lord, that we
Wholesome grain and pure may be.

For the Lord our God shal come,
And shall take his harvest home.
From his field shall purge away
All that doth offend, that day;
Give his angels charge at last
In the first the tares to cast,
But fruitful ears to store
In his garner evermore.

Then, thou Church triumphant, come.
Raise the song of harvest-home:
All be safely gatherd in,
Free from sorrow, free from sin;
There for ever purified
In God's garner to abide:
Come, ten thousand angels, come,
Raise the glorious harvest-home!

-Henry Alford

I heard this Hymn for the first time today at St.Paul's Cathedral. I think it is an excellent portrayal of the themes of Thanksgiving, and, reading it, makes me aware of everything I have been overly blessed with. I should simply be happy and thankful for what "God, our Maker, doth provide," the basics, the necessities, but he has and does provide so much more, above and beyond all of that. I have been blessed with so much. Although I should be recognizing these blessings daily, hourly and every minute; it is wonderful to have a holiday specifically for the purpose of taking a day to rest, reflect and realize how blessed we are.



To celebrate this Holiday in London, I went to my friend Amy's flat. We made a phenomenal meal, which, I am pleased to say that I contributed some very well mashed, mashed potatoes. We played cards, laughed and ate way too much (of course).

But my Holiday doesn't end there. After leaving Amy's I went to ANOTHER American Thanksgiving, where, yes, I ate another Thanksgiving meal! And dessert! Two helpings of Pumpkin pie. Needless to say, I do not want to think about turkey, pie, or food in general, until next Thanksgivin. Or, maybe until Christmas.....

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. lovely post heather! thanks for sharing that hymn. we miss you over here. happy thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete