Saturday, 24 January 2009

Black Licorice and Chocolate do not mix. Ever.




Cupcake Mission: Cupcake #2 since mission began
Place: Candy Cakes
Area of London: Covent Garden
Cupcake tasted: Double Chocolate
Price: 2.60 (for the small, which was actually huge! The other one- the 'big' one- was 3.20)


This was a spur of the moment cupcake affair. After class last Friday afternoon I decided to go on a walk in my 'hood and explore a bit. Walking along Monmouth Street, something caught my eye. Bright colors - happy pink, radiant green and the red fuzzy hat which was adorned by the cutest little old lady standing in front of a shop and pointing and staring (probably salivating as well) at items in the window. I have come upon Candy Cakes.

Candy Cakes wasn't even in the range of research I have been doing on cupcake shops in London, so I was pleasantly surprised at the opportunity to add to my cupcake, and cupcake shop, knowledge. Not wanting to miss such an opportunity (and, hey, what the heck - its Friday), I stepped inside.



Among the flavors I was greated with were: Toffee banana (the english love this combination in any form), Strawberry with something or other, Double Chocolate, and various other crazy/interesting flavor combinations that were green, orange, yellow, etc. Surprisingly there was no Vanilla.

I chose chocolate. I know, boring, right? In my defense, I was in a chocolate mood, and ladies know that when the chocolate craving strikes, nothing can supress it but some insanely good chocolate. Secondly, I wanted to give Candy Cakes an honest shot. If I chose a random flavor and didn't like the cupcake based on flavor alone, rather than the overall effect of the moisture, frosting, sweetness, and so on; I would be a bad critic.


Results (drum roll please):
Satisfying. Not amazing, but good. The cake was insanely soft and moist, and there were chocolate chips inside (always a plus). However, the frosting was rock hard on top - tasty - but helmet style frosting kinda ruins the effect of a good cupcake. Also, there were candies on top. Good, right? A little cute decoration for the overall effect?I ate a candy. I spit the candy out.

It was black licorice. Ew!!! What a bad idea. I don't know who thought to put black licorice on top of a chocolate cupcake (or any cupcake for that matter), but they should be fired. Okay, moving on.

Overall, the cupcake reminded me (exactly reminded me) of a chocolate chip muffin from Costco. They are good, but sometimes too rich. And, when eating a cupcake, I want just that - a cupcake- not a muffin.

Will I be back? Maybe. Probably. I must admit that the other flavors intrigued me and I am curious enough to give them a go.



Side Note: I mad myself some delicious blueberry pancakes this morning. Nothing beats a hot breakfast on a Saturday morning. yum!

1 comment:

  1. this is great! i agree about the licorice comments. totally ewwwww.

    miss you friend!

    ReplyDelete