I had some traditional Fish n' Chips at a "chippy" or "fish house" called The Golden Hind in Marylebone. This place comes highly recommended by the locals - which is always good. And it has been an establishment in Londontown for almost 100 years!!!! Ironically since opening in 1914 it has been owned and operated by Italians, and recently, the sceptor of ownership was passed to a Grecian (and here I thought fish n' chips was an English thing....).
I ordered Cod with chips. Delicious! The fish was not soggy, nor was it covered in grease. Fresh, hot, and wonderful! In the spirit of "traditional" food, I opted to include the traditional "mushy peas" with my Fish n' Chips. Look at the picture and tell me if you think they look appetizing.... Exactly.
Apparently you can get some very tasty mushy peas in London, but these particular ones, even after dousing them with salt and pepper, were a lost cause. They had a little bit of a 'fishy' aftertaste, but it was the inital taste that resembled the smell of a barnyard which turned me off. (However, I seemed to be the only one in the establishment not relishing the green mash on my plate; they were a big hit with everyone else)
peas....yuck :-(

i want to come visit and try those fish and chips! not the peas though. i hate peas too. mushed or not...gross.
ReplyDelete